Monday, September 16, 2013

Sleepy Hollow: Initial Review


Good evening, and truly, what a good evening it was. I just had the pleasure to see the premier of Fox’s new Supernatural-Cop-Conspiracy-Treasure Hunt-Drama Sleepy Hollow. Going in I’d had a friend tell me, ‘It’s a supernatural cop drama.’ Which I was already excited enough about, but upon watching it I can tell you with all confidence that it was oh so much more. Before going any further I should mention there are minor spoilers peppered throughout this article, I’d also like to mention that this might not be the best show for young viewers or those who are easily frightened.


Okay, that's your warning (and I promise they're not even massive spoilers, it is a review though...)


The only foreseeable problem I can see with the show is that it was, so much more than just a supernatural cop drama. I love tv shows that make me think, and that I really have to pay attention to and that can have me theorizing about them all the way to Neptune and back (rest in peace pluto…), but I know that, that’s not necessarily what the average viewer wants to see. Unfortunately I can see this show only lasting a season or two, instead of the seven that it eludes to wanting in its own script.

All that said I truly have nothing but good things to say about the show, the actors playing Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison) and Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie) had excellent chemistry, the story that was weaved; although complicated, is brilliant, the scenery and cinematography were both stunning, and it was appropriately creepy.

From the beginning of the episode I thought my only criticism was going to be ‘How could the Headless Horseman see the people it’s hunting for.’ But the show even acknowledged its own absurdity in a clever bit of humor near the end of the episode.

All in all this show seems to have something for everyone, there is a little bit of romance, a lot of action, some conspiracy, obviously the supernatural element, and even manages to tie together supernatural lore and Christian scripture. This show is certainly shaping up to be one of the most interesting shows of the year, and if I had to guess I would say fans of shows like Lost, Fringe and Revolution are going to drool over it, while those looking for something they can mindlessly float in and out of watching will likely be disappointed. Despite all the positive things I’ve said about Sleepy Hollow, Fox is to cancel shows, and judging by how complex this show actually is I have my doubts, that it will make it past two seasons, but this is one time I will be happy to admit that I am wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment