Monday, September 23, 2013

Sleepy Hollow made me Sleepy

After it’s stellar premier, tonight’s episode of Fox’s Sleepy Hollow was absolutely underwhelming.


Me throughout the first 40 minutes of this episode

As usual this review will contain minor spoilers that are necessary for an informative review.

I’m not sure what I was watching this week, but it was not at all the show I saw last week, this week’s episode was fairly dull by comparison to the action packed premier. By just about all standards this episode was just not as good as last weeks, it was altogether predictable. For example early on in the episode Ichabod and Abbie are in some conveniently placed secret tunnels that connect the police station to the city archives, and they find some convenient gunpowder that they just sort of ignore for now. They then proceed to conveniently find Sheriff Corbin’s items within a minute of looking in the impossibly disorganized archives.

It was all just very predictable. If you have a guess as to how the main arc of the episode is going to end by the time they leave the archives its probably correct.

The episode also tried to do a massive reveal about Ichabod’s wife being trapped between worlds, but I personally think it falls flat on its face because I pretty much assumed that’s what was going on when we first saw her last episode.

So the episode was altogether predictable in the sense of plot, and that’s why most people watch television. I will say, however, that the make up this week was fantastic, especially on Andy’s neck.

Additionally as usual the sound track, and videography was lovely, too.

I am going to be called a nerd (even by the most nerdy members of Fandomverse) for this next part, but, I also want to praise the show for an absolutely flawless, and perfect-in-ever-way opening title sequence. Seriously, it was absolutely gorgeous and perfect in ever way, I still can’t get over it. Good opening title sequences are hard to find anymore and Sleepy Hollow nailed it.

I guess I should finish the review by saying the episode is not a complete wash by any stretch of the imagination, it was still an entirely adequate hour of television, and if you factor in the last five minutes, after they wrap up the monster-of-the-week portion of the show and the little bit of season arc information they threw in I’d give the episode a solid B.

I will say I was also talking to Fandomverse writer Elena and she said that she preferred this episode to the opener, and I’m not sure why that is. If I had to guess it’s because this episode seemed to focus less on developing the mythology of the show and more on developing characters themselves.  Ultimately the jury is out on which of the first two episodes of Sleepy Hollow have been the best so far, so sound off in the comments. All I have to say is that before I can officially pass judgment on the show I will give it a full season’s worth of episodes.


Stay tuned here for more news from across the Fandomverse, and feel free to check us out on twitter, tumblr or reddit!

No comments:

Post a Comment